Marketing and Communications Generalist - 3 Month Contract (Toronto)
The ALS Society of Canada is seeking a Marketing and Communications Generalist for a three-month contract to support key deliverables for its Marketing and Public Affairs team. This is an opportunity for a resourceful self-starter who wants to be part of creating a renewed presence for the organization in a collaborative and results-focused environment. You are someone who takes initiative while demonstrating excellent judgment and a keen awareness of how your work connects with other areas of the organization and the community at large. You are flexible, comfortable in an evolving role with few precedents, adept in navigating a complex, multi-stakeholder environment, and can admirably balance a high volume of work with high-quality output. Bilingualism (English and French) is an asset. This role is based out of the ALS Canada office at 393 University Avenue (University and Dundas) in Toronto.
Our world is challenging. The people we serve are dealing with a devastating illness. But in the midst of it, their resiliency and spirit is remarkable and moving. You will be touched by the community and will find a way to naturally and effectively engage. Responsibilities Digital content development and execution:
• Maintain the organization’s content calendar with input and collaboration from different areas of the organization and in alignment with overall marketing and communication objectives.
• Develop and publish digital content including social media posts and blog articles as well as accompanying branded visuals using Adobe Creative Suite.
• Identify and execute opportunities to enrich organic and paid digital content, increasing community engagement on social media to drive website traffic.
• Using WordPress, develop and maintain English and French content on the organization’s website, including regular updates to the home page, ensuring that content is accurate, up‐to‐date, and of high editorial quality.
• Frequently monitor ALS Canada’s social media channels on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn, engaging with and responding to comments and questions in a timely manner and with sensitivity and compassion.
• Monitor and adjust ALS Canada’s Google AdWords account to optimize performance and drive traffic.
• Track, analyze and report on website traffic, campaign performance and social media metrics using a variety of analytics tools including but not limited to Google Analytics, Sprout Social and platform-specific insight tools.
• Develop content for, create and distribute e-newsletters and e-mail campaigns.
• Support the development of marketing plans and campaigns, liaising with vendors in a timely and professional fashion.
• Liaise with our translation vendor on the development of French content, ensuring timely turnaround of translations. Corporate Communications:
• Develop meeting packages, briefing materials and other written content to support ALS Canada in its advocacy efforts including meetings with MPs, MPPs and other government stakeholders.
• Draft agendas and meeting minutes in support to the Federation Council Advocacy Committee and other stakeholder groups.
• Use Infomart to monitor traditional media outlets for editorial coverage of ALS Canada and other relevant content.
• Provide on-site support for the ALS Canada Research Forum (Saturday, April 27 and Sunday, April 28) including staffing the audio-visual table and liaising with stakeholders for content development purposes.
• Support the development of ad-hoc marketing and communications materials, liaising with third parties as needed. • Support corporate communications, government relations and advocacy initiatives as needed.
• Other duties as required. Experience and Qualifications: • University degree or equivalent in a related subject area (e.g. marketing, communications, public relations, journalism, digital media, etc.).
• 2-4 years of relevant working experience with clear demonstration of results. Experience working at a charitable organization is preferred.
• Familiar with relevant trends and best practices in social media and digital marketing.
• Experience with content management systems (e.g. WordPress, Sprout Social), editing software (e.g. Adobe Creative Suite), blogs, analytics and social listening platforms, search marketing and optimization, web design process and best practices.
• Familiarity with applying Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) standards to website content and design.
• Bilingualism (English and French) is an asset, and/or familiarity with the needs of a organization that communicates in both languages.
Competencies and Skills:
• Genuine passion for digital content including web, mobile and social media.
• Understanding of the connection between marketing/communications and fundraising.
• Resilience, emotional maturity and compassion to engage sensitively with the ALS community.
• Collaborator who identifies opportunities and brings new ideas and concepts forward for discussion.
• Excellent prioritization, time management and organization skills.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Proactive, solution- and service-oriented approach.
• High degree of judgement, discretion, political sensitivity and creative problem-solving skills.
• Positive and results-oriented, with the interpersonal skills and integrity that inspire trust.
• Ability to work autonomously and as a member of a team.
• Ability to rapidly adapt to changing environments.
Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com (Subject: Marketing and Communications Generalist). We thank all applicants for their interest, however only selected applicants will be contacted for an interview